Race and gender influence diagnosis of COPD

African-Americans are less likely than whites and women are more likely than men to have had a prior diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) regardless of their current disease severity, according to a study.

Diverse people

“Race and gender are known to affect the diagnosis and treatment of a number of diseases,” said lead author Albert Mamary, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia. “In our study of almost 9,000 patients enrolled in the COPDGene study, a cross sectional sample of high risk patients, race and gender were associated with significant disparities in the prevalence of prior COPD diagnosis across all stages of actual current disease severity.”

The COPDGene study enrolled white (non-Hispanic) and African-American subjects 45 years of age or older with a history of at least 10 pack years of cigarette smoking. Baseline assessment included spirometry and determination of prior COPD diagnosis with the questions “do you have COPD?”, “do you have emphysema?” and “do you have chronic bronchitis?”

Disease severity was measured using the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) classification system, which classifies COPD patients based on their degree of airflow obstruction as having mild (Stage 1), moderate (stage 2), severe (stage 3), or very severe (stage 4) COPD.

Compared with whites, African-American subjects at all GOLD stages of airflow obstruction had significantly higher odds of not having had a prior COPD diagnosis. Compared with men, women at all GOLD stages has significantly higher odds of having had a prior COPD diagnosis.

At Gold stages 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4, the odds of not having a prior COPD diagnosis among African-Americans vs. whites were 1.6, 1.6, 1.9, 3.3, and 3.7, respectively. The odds of having a prior COPD diagnosis among women vs. men were 1.9, 1.4, 1.6, 1.0, and 1.1 at Gold stages 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4, respectively.

“The underdiagnosis and potential undertreatment of COPD among African Americans that we detected in our study is cause for concern,” said Dr. Mamary. “Future research should focus on the factors underlying the race and gender disparities that we found.”

by Nathaniel Dunford

9 Comments
  1. Profile photo of Helen Gertz
    Helen Gertz 10 months ago

I have been diagnosed with COPD for over 7 years. A couple of months ago it got harder and harder to breathe. All medication prescribed by my doctor were not working. In November 2016 i read in a health forum of a herbal clinic (NewLife Herbal Clinic) who sell herbal remedy to cure diseases including COPD, i immediately contacted the herbal clinic via their website and purchased the COPD herbal remedy. I used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks all my symptoms were reversed, i did another lungs function test and CT scan to be sure, my doctor confirmed my airway are repaired, visit www .newlifeherbalclinic .weebly . com or email newlifeherbalclinic @ gmail . com. Final breakthrough for all living with COPD/emphysema

2. Profile photo of Gina Moore
    Gina Moore 10 months ago

My husband was misdiagnosed with PD in 2000. Very rapid deterioration and many queries eventually led to MSA (Multiple System Atrophy) diagnosis. A horrible, horrible condition robbing people of independence, dignity, movement, speech, continence, ability to swallow and breathe.we didn’t know what to do we tried everything possible medically, we were waiting for his death then one day our daughter got back from work with the email of a herbal Clinic saying her friend from work told her about a testimony on how Health Herbal Clinic cured her mom from PD and it truely worked, we were desperate and sceptical but my daughter told me we got nothing to loose and i decided to give it a try. 4 weeks after he started taking the herb he regained his speech and today my husband is fully rocovered from this deadly disease called PD, this isn’t a BS it is real you can also contact health herbal clinic on healthherbalclinic @ gmail . com or website on www . healthherbalclinic . weebly . com

3. Profile photo of Smith Elena
    Smith Elena 9 months ago

ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of hepatitis B in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor from indian, who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (HBV), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 8 days of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098765@gmail.com for advice and for his product

4. Profile photo of Grace Morgan
    Grace Morgan 8 months ago

After having a persistent cough for over a year, I was diagnosed with COPD in March 2015. In 2016 my COPD got worse to the point where not only do I have trouble sleeping at night, I also struggle to get air into my lungs. I read in a health forum of a herbal centre (Traditional Herbal Healing Centre) who have successful treatment to COPD/Emphysema, i immediately contacted the herbal centre via their website and purchased the COPD herbal remedy, I used the remedy for 2 weeks, all my symptoms were reversed, i did another test for confirmation, i was declared COPD free. Visit (www.traditionalherbalhealingcentre.webs. com) or email (traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com) or Call/WhatsApp (+2348110857969)if you want to conform more about it whatsApp me at +1(856)402-1198………….

5. Profile photo of Zainy Versatile Jay
    Zainy Versatile Jay 7 months ago

I have had two myomectomy, abdominal in 05/2012 and laparoscopy in 02/2014. I have never been pregnant; not to my knowing. I’m feeling hopeless and the fibroids are growing again. Doctor said that it look like I may need another myomectomy. I know that I have a fibroid the size of a goose egg(6cm).so i was online looking for help when i saw a post about this dr buba who has helped many with root ans herbs so i wrote to him he gave me some advice and told me what to do which i did then he sent a bottle of a herbal drug to me through DHL which i used for seven days and today i am cured already all thanks to him if you
    are in my shoes or have any related sickness
    Etc
    CONTACT DR.BUBASPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM OR CALL +2348087937686 FOR URGENT HELP

6. Profile photo of Larry Hemm
    Larry Hemm 6 months ago

I had Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) for 7 years, My first symptoms were dry cough, chest tightness and shortness of breath. This was ongoing for 3 years, my first chest x-ray only showed bronchitis. Finally I went to a pulmonologist and was diagnosed with COPD, I was immediately placed on Seebri Breezhaler, it’s an inhalation powder, I take it once a day in the morning. Finally, i started on COPD Herbal Formula i ordered from NewLife Herbal Clinic, the herbal formula worked 10x better than all the medications my pulmonologist had prescribed. I have had a total decline of symptoms since i started on this herbal formula, visit www .newlifeherbalclinic .com or email info@ newlifeherbalclinic. com

7. Profile photo of Alexander Smith
    Alexander Smith 6 months ago

My father has COPD,diagnosed 2 years ago,His speech is bad not able to talk and experience shortness of breath,i spent a lot of money on his medication till a point i was so frustrated,My friend David ossy told me about , General Health Center, who cured his parents of Copd, i contacted this herbal health center and purchase the herbal medicine, then they sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it my father applied it for 8 weeks as prescribed and was totally cured of COPD within 8 Weeks of usage. Contact via:
    email:(generalhealthcenter1@gmail.com)

Phone number: +27719591654

8. Profile photo of Janice Elbert
    Janice Elbert 6 months ago

I was told I had emphysema in 1987 when I was 45 years old. I smoked for 30 years, but quit smoking as soon as I was told that I had COPD. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. But I knew I would die if I didn’t. My health was getting so bad that I needed oxygen 24/7 and was down to 92lbs. Thankfully, in 1999 I got lung volume reduction surgery. It saved my life. I no longer needed oxygen and was able to climb stairs, dance, and travel the world. That good fortune lasted for almost 13 years. I am now back on oxygen 24/7 and can’t climb stairs, dance or travel the world. i searched for alternative treatment Online i was introduced to Health herbal clinic by a friend here in the United states she told me they have successful herbal treatment to Emphysema and other lungs diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the COPD herbal formula and commenced usage, its totally unexplainable how all the symptoms totally dissapeared, my cough was gone and i no longer experience shortness of breath(dyspnea), contact this herbal clinic via their email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net Or website www. healthherbalclinic. net Herbs are truely gift from God

9. Profile photo of Julian ellis
    Julian ellis 2 months ago

I was diagnosed of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in 2012 at the age of 63. I had been a heavy smoker, my symptoms started out with dry cough and shortness of breath, i ended up in the hospital, on a ventilator. I should have known it was coming, but like most smokers, thought it would never happen to me. My COPD got significantly worse and unbearable because of my difficulty catching breath. Last year, i started on a natural COPD Herbal therapy from NewLife Herbal Clinic, i read a lot of positive reviews from patients who used the treatment and i immediately started on it. I had great relief with this herbal treatment. I breath very much better now, no case of shortness of breath or chest tightness since treatment. Visit NewLife Herbal Clinic website ww w. newlifeherbalclinic. com. This COPD treatment is a miracle!!