COPD Study Highlights High Costs and Burdens of Treatment

A recent study in the journal Respiratory Research notes the high costs and burdens of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment among patients initiating maintenance therapy, and the low rates of  patient adherent to treatment. Researchers also found that general practitioner interactions were the primary drivers of costs.

drug adherence

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a preventable and treatable disease characterized by progressive and persistent airflow obstruction. COPD exacerbations and the comorbid nature of the disease pose a significant and increasing economic and social burden.

Inhaled long-acting bronchodilators (LABDs) with or without inhaled corticosteroids (ICS) are the mainstay of COPD therapy when symptoms persist, despite the use of short-acting bronchodilators (SABDs). Two main classes of inhaled LABDs are long-acting beta2-agonists (LABAs) and long-acting muscarinic antagonists (LAMAs) which are occasionally supplemented by the oral LABD, theophyllines.

Guidelines from the UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommend LABA or LAMA for patients with forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1 ) greater or equal to 50% of the predicted value, LABA+ICS or LAMA for those with FEV1 less than 50% of the predicted value, and open triple therapy (LABA+ICS+LAMA) in those with higher risk for exacerbations and persistent symptoms.

The study, “Characteristics, disease burden and costs of COPD patients in the two years following initiation of long-acting bronchodilators in UK primary care,” had two aims: assessing the symptomatic and cost burden among patients initiating LABD therapy, and estimating the impact of adherence on healthcare resource use and costs in the 24 months after LABD alone or LABA+ICS initiation. The research team, led by Yogesh Punekar from the Value Evidence and Outcomes, GlaxoSmithKline, Stockley Park, U.K., conducted a retrospective cohort analysis of patients with COPD.

All patients were newly prescribed a LABD (long-acting muscarinic antagonist [LAMA], long-acting beta2-agonist [LABA], a combination of LABA+LAMA or combination of LABA with inhaled corticosteroid [ICS]/LABA) between 2009 and 2013 from the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink. The cohort comprised 8,283 LABD initiators (16% LABA, 81% LAMA, 3% LABA+LAMA) and 9,246 LABA+ICS initiators with similar baseline characteristics.

For the analysis, the researchers included the variables of healthcare resource use, costs, and symptom burden up to 24 months after treatment initiation. Adherence in the follow-up period was assessed using the medication possession ratio (MPR ≥80 %).

The researchers determined that less than half the patients adhered to their index medication. Among adherent patients, the total annual per patient cost of COPD was £3008 for LAMA initiators, £2783 for LABA initiators and £3376 for LABA+ICS initiators. These results were mainly due to general practitioner interactions.

The results further revealed that among patients with a Medical Research Council dyspnea score recorded during a 24-month follow-up, a substantial proportion of adherent patients (LAMA: 41 %; LABA: 45 %; LABA+ICS 44 %) had clinically significant dyspnoea (MRC ≥ 3).

Based on the results the researchers concluded that among patients initiating maintenance treatment for COPD, adherence to the index medication was low. Many adherent patients were symptomatic across all examined LABD classes.

“In our setting, the COPD management costs were high among adherent and non-adherent patients with GP interactions contributing the most. Real world studies are required to inform interventions to address unmet needs, including impact of patient engagement tools on adherence, integrated management of comorbid conditions, and optimizing treatment pathways to improve COPD symptom burden and outcomes,” the researchers wrote.

by Daniela Semedo

26 Comments
  1. Profile photo of Neme Amber
    Neme Amber 10 months ago

I was diagnose of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) 2 years ago, my family doctor told me there is no cure but it can only be controled. Ever since then i have been running heather scepter looking for a solution to my problem because i was going to lose my Job if i dont get better, until i ran into this online testimony of Mrs Vivian who have been cured of COPD by this herbal centre in Nigeria (Traditional Herbal Healing Centre), i immediately contacted them via their email, to God be thy glory i bought this COPD herbal remedy and was cured within 2 weeks of usage, at last this is a break through for all COPD patients contact this herbal centre via their email: traditionalherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp at +2348110857969….

2. Profile photo of Mc Jerry
    Mc Jerry 10 months ago

I”m Mc Jery united states Pennsylvania,i smoked for 30 years, then over a dozen years ago, I thought I had come down with a very bad case of pneumonia. After my wife nagged me for a week, I finally saw the doctor. I was diagnosed with severe COPD. They were amazed that I had waited so long, years in fact, before going to a doctor over it. They gave me three years tops before it killed me. That was 13 years ago and I am still living. I don’t do much, because I no longer have the ability. I can no longer walk, am always hooked up to an oxygen air line, and my body is starting to shut down. There are times that I can’t remember my wife’s name, even though we have been married for nearly forty years. Truth be told, there are times that I truly wish I had died years ago when I could still walk, talk, play with my grandkids, but GOD decided that it might be better for me to live a bit longer. My wife asks me, when I am having a bad day, if I want to go to the hospital. I always decline, reminding her that I do not want to die in the hospital, but to die at home with the people that I love most. Hospitals can no longer do anything good for me. Even Duke Hospital admits that they do not know why I am still living. GOD purpose will eventually be known until i found testimonies of Great Dr. Abumere in an online research and on Facebook, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did email him and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, i am cured from COPD by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that COPD can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I’m truly grateful,i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support. Contact Abumere today, Email: abumereherbalcentre@ gmail.com

3. Profile photo of Dave Peter
    Dave Peter 10 months ago

My sister was diagnosed of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease COPD and Motor Neurone Disease MND. I saw a post about PERFECTHEALTH herbal medicine, I copied down their email and contacted them and told them about my sister health, they replied and told me not to worry anymore that i should just purchase the herbal medicine and they will send it to me in my country,which i did. 3 days after sending the herbal medicine, I received the herbal medicine and so my sister took the medicine as prescribed by perfcet health.my sister took the medicine for 35 days, and was cured totally of COPD AND MND,she was able to breath properly,and talk properly,the medicine has no side effects ,it only helped my sister get cured.all thanks to PERFECTHEALTH,contact them via perfecthealthherbalmedicine(AT)gmail(DOT)com ,website.www(DOT)perfecthealthherbal(DOT)weebly(DOT)com

4. Profile photo of Fred Lucas
    Fred Lucas 9 months ago

My names are FRED LUCAS, I was diagnosed of chronic obstructive pulmonary COPD and parkinson disease PD 2015, I was told by my doctor that there’s no cure. I was so worried anytime i think about it,i was spending alot on medication,and i was sacked from work,because i was always sick,infact my life was a mess..i was just researching online I saw a lot of testimonials about perfecthealth on how they uses herbal medicine to cure so many deadly disease …. I contacted them via email;perfecthealthherbalmedicine@gmail.com and told them my problems, then they said i will be totally cured within 35days,my heart was full on joy when they said that i will be totally cured within 35days ,i just had faith and believe,then i purchased the herbal medicine and sent them my details such as NAME,HOME ADDRESS,PHONE NUMBER ,Then perfecthealth sent me the herbal medicine to me through courier service and I used the herbal medicine for good 35days, then I went for check-up and my doctor confirmed thats am totally free from COPD and Parkinson,it work like a miracle to me ,please viewers out there this is real am so happy to share this testimony .thanks to perfect health GOD WILL BLESS U . if u want ti know more perfecthealth and their great work check their website http://www.perfecthealthherbal.weebly.com..

5. Profile photo of Levi Mila
    Levi Mila 6 months ago

The last thing I will ever do is to believe on MEDICAL drugs intense of COPD , I am Levi mila, New Zealand. I want to appreciate the great work of Dr Abumere, I have been diagnose of COPD for a period of 3years,I’ve lose all hope that there is no cure and I have been taken medicine to sustain myself till I got to know about Dr Abumere through a friend who cured of Chronic obstructive pulmonary . I contacted them by via email>abumereherbalcentre@gmail.com and Medicine sent to me, which I took as prescribed for some period of days and I went to the hospital after consuming the medicine and I was confirmed Negative after 3 years of being positive, it is indeed a miracle honestly,you can contact their email or visit their website on http://www.abumereherbalcentre.simplesite.com

6. Profile photo of Sarah Jones
    Sarah Jones 6 months ago

My father has COPD,diagnosed 2 years ago,His speech is bad not able to talk and experience shortness of breath,i spent a lot of money on his medication till a point i was so frustrated,My friend David ossy told me about , General Health Center, who cured his parents of Copd, i contacted this herbal health center and purchase the herbal medicine, then they sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it my father applied it for 8 weeks as prescribed and was totally cured of COPD within 4 Weeks of usage. Contact via:
    email:(generalhealthcenter1@gmail.com)